Are you planning a trip to the beach this Independence Day? Or a BBQ outside with the family? Regardless of your plans, some sweet treats are a necessary must when celebrating the 4th with the kids!
To help you and the family satisfy your sweet tooth this 4th of July, we've compiled this list of PATRIOTIC tasty treats that are sure to liven up the party!
1. Jello Stars (very easy to do):
Prep- 10 min/Ready in- 2 Hours
- 2 (3oz.) packages Berry Blue Jell-O
- 2 (3oz.) packages Red Jello-O
Instructions- In a bowl, dissolve 2 (3 oz.) packages Berry Blue Jell-O in 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Pour into an 8-inch baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Repeat with red Jell-O. Dip bottoms of pans into warm water for 15 seconds. Cut Jell-O into stars with a 1 1/2-inch star cutter. Yield: about 50 stars.
2. Red, white, and blue strawberry shortcake (not difficult and not too easy):
Prep- 20 min/Cook- 30 min/Ready in- 50 min
- (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
- pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- Strawberries Regular – 16 oz package
Prepare cake according to package directions and bake in a 9×13 inch pan. Cool completely.
Frost cake with whipped topping. Place blueberries in a square in the corner, and arrange sliced strawberries as stripes to make an American flag. Chill until serving.
3. Sparkler Cupcakes (advanced):
Prep- 20 min/Ready in- 60 min
- 1/2 cup red candy coating disks
- 1/2 cup blue candy coating disks
- 1/2 cup white candy coating disks
- 2 1/2 cups Creamy White Frosting or canned creamy white frosting
- 12 Confetti Cupcakes or other 2-1/2-inch cupcakes in paper bake cups
- Red, white, and blue sprinkles and/or jimmies (optional)
- Place colored candy coating disks in three separate small microwave-safe bowls. Microwave one bowl on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. Stir; microwave for 20 to 30 seconds more or until melted. Repeat, one at a time, with the remaining bowls of candy coating. Transfer the melted candy coatings to three small heavy resealable plastic bags. Snip off a small piece from one corner of each bag. On sheets of waxed paper, make 8- to 9-inch-long sticks (about 1/4-inch thickness) of each color candy coating by piping back and forth over waxed paper in a zigzag pattern. Let stand about 1 hour or until firm. (If necessary, place the sticks of candy coating in the freezer until firm.)
- Meanwhile, place Creamy White Frosting in a disposable pastry bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe frosting over Confetti Cupcakes.
- Break the zigzag sticks of candy coating into 3- to 4-inch lengths. Insert the candy sticks into frosting, radiating out from the center like a sparkler. If desired, sprinkle with colored sprinkles. Makes 12 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
The best way to have more fun during the holidays is to immerse yourself deeper in the holiday spirit! Decorate the house, play patriotic music and even dress the part with some red, white and blue gear!
Today we celebrate our Independence!